Dan and I spent last night driving from Charlotte to St. Louis, so I had a lot of time to think about the reasons I'm thankful.
1. First of all, I'm thankful for the family and friends who have supported me through the last six months: moving cities, changing jobs, growing my blog and small business, breaking my foot, and losing a close friend.
2. I'm thankful for my old and new colleagues who have helped me grow, who have supported my quest for a healthy career and who have been excited about what I'm trying to do with my students.
3. I'm thankful that my students keep making it to class, no matter how much they frustrate me sometimes. Between the shooting of Michael Brown and the rape culture all too prevalent on college campuses, I'm thankful every time they come to class and learn.
I was listening to NPR yesterday, and they interviewed a community college student in St. Louis who works at a Little Ceasars that burned during the riots in Ferguson. I cried. I am so thankful that my students are strong and that I work somewhere that has resources to help and support students who are struggling.
4. I am thankful for my Trouble, Layla, and Finley and that we have the resources to give them a pretty sweet life.
Of course, Layla and Finley are thankful, too.
And Trouble is thankful that I let her drool on me and that we're out of town so she has the house to herself.
5. And I'm thankful for a lot of little things. Like today, I'm thankful there's hot chocolate at our hotel room. Anyway, don't forget to be thankful for the little things, too.
So what are you thankful for this Thanksgiving?